Day 7 & 8: BAGAN
Stupas hoping and sun chasing in Bagan is all you do!
Despite its popularity as a touristic must-go destination, you’ll still be able to find serenity and quietness among one of the thousand temples.
One day would be enough to visit the most famous pagodas, you could spend another day exploring off the beaten track temples.
The beauty of Bagan lies mostly in the impressive panorama of 2,000 temples scattered across the bush.
8 Famous pagodas with distinctive character:
- Shwesandaw (go there very early to avoid the crowd and get a spot for the sunrise. You’ll have to climb steep stairs, also don’t forget your archaeological entrance ticket. This is the only temple where guards will check it. I went there unfortunately for the sunset…mistake! you’ll see the parking in front of you.)
I’m convinced that meditation will get you high…that’s the proof:
Off the beaten track temples:
- Oak Kyaung Gyi (climb on the top of this ruined temple to watch the sunset or just chill there during the day, you’ll feel like an explorer that just discovered Bagan)
- Khaymingha temples. Located in the middle of a field, the surrounding of this less-known pagoda is absolutely charming.
- Thisawadi for sunrise. Make sure you have a precise map and a torch because there is no indication for this temple. It’s also a bit hidden from the road, very painful to find but this is one of the few temples where you are allowed to climb up.
Mya Thida (New Bagan)
No.F-55,Coner of Nwe Ni Street & School Street Kyan Sitt Thar Township, New Bagan,
The archaeological zone is located between Nyaung U (in the North) and New Bagan (in the South).
The bus will stop in Nyaung U where new guesthouses are expanding fast. It’s also closer to the temples compared to New Bagan. However I already booked online in New Bagan and it was very convenient.
– Guesthouse 2 nights: 2 x 15,000 kyats
– Shared Taxi from bus station to New Bagan: 3,500 kyats
– Entrance fee to Bagan archaeology site: 15 USD
– E-bike rental (half day 2PM -8PM + full day 5AM – 8PM): 3,000 kyats + 5,000 kyats
Day 9: BAGAN – morning bus to KALAW
Book a trek to Inle lake
– 40,000 kyats (3 days, 2 nights)